DIPLOMA IN TRAVEL & TOURISM MANAGEMENT
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME:
Arunachal Pradesh has tremendous scope for development of tourism as a viable economic activity and generating employment opportunities for the youths. Keeping this fact in mind the above three year fulltime diploma program in Travel and Tourism Development is being offered to train young and ebullient youths in up coming tourism infra and super structures.
The Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management (TTM) has been developed keeping in mind people who wish to make their career in some branch of tourism. The curriculum for Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management (TTM) is designed so as to develop multi-skills and multifunctional manpower for Travel and Tourism Management (TTM).
The students passing out of ‘Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management (TTM)’ will possess various skills as per the societies demand. In particular, the students will develop the required competence in the area of computer application; they would be able to independently prepare projects. The students will also possess primary skills needed to plan, mange, troubleshoot and maintain infrastructure and facilities required in this industry.
Apart from the technological skills, efforts have been made to ensure development of some soft skills like communication skills, social skills, and life long learning skills, in the students to stand successfully in the global competition.
In general, the aims of the Diploma Programme are:-
- To train personnel in diverse activities at various levels in travel management, tour operations, catering, accommodation management, etc.
- To expose the students to best practice in this service industry and provide hands on experience.
- To build students their career in the industry.
- To develop manpower for self and/or wage employment in service industry.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES INTENDED TO BE DEVELOPED IN THE PASS-OUTS:
• Communicate effectively and politely.
• Demonstrate safety and cleanliness
• Perform Airline ticketing related operations
• Manage travel agency
• Maintain liaison and good relationships with clients
• Manage club, restaurants, canteen, etc
• Use appropriate ground transportation system.
• Identify the services needed in the tourism industry.
• Maintain good hygiene in service and presentation.
• Install, commission, operate and maintain machines and equipment used in the tourism industry.
• Appreciate the need for best practices and cordial relationships of the tourism industry.
• Maintain office and sales account.
GENERIC COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
• Prepare tender documents and comparative statements.
• Marketing sales and after sales services
• Developing Social Skills like Communication skills, co-cooperativeness, life longLearning skill, Enhancing Productivity, Dealing Human Resource with Sympathy & Empathy, working for Environment & Ecological Balance.
• Developing attitude for work commitment, initiative, problem solving, leadership, punctuality, honesty, creativity, safety consciousness, etc
• Excellent class room lectures, tutorials, case studies by highly learned faculty.
• Guest and visiting faculties drawn from reputed hotels, airlines, Govt., tourism departments, etc
• Adventure tours of local training, Industrial training and Computer based training.
• Study Tours of local, North-East and national destinations for practical exposure
• Special stress on grooming the personality of students according to industry needs through mock interviews, group, case studies, and role playing.
• Instruction through modern teaching aids as computers, LCD projectors, over head& slide projectors, audio visual shows, plasma TV, etc.
FACILITIES AVAILABLE IN THE DEPARTMENT
• Laboratories are equipped with modern gadgets to give students a firt hand simulated experience of a star hotel, airline, travel agency etc.
• Networking with airlines, govt tourism deptts for training of faculties and students
• Earn while learn facility for students by in house parties and external catering
• Number of CBTs (Curriculum Based Tutorial) and LRs (Learning resources) are available.
LABORATORIES AVAILABLE IN THE DEPARTMENT
• Travel & Tourism Lab
• Adventure Sports Lab
• Travel Agency and CRS Lab
ACTIVITIES IN THE DEPARTMENT
o Expert lecture
o Industrial visit/ fields visits
o students seminars
o Short term training programs
FACULTY AND STAFF
1. Mr. TabaTath, HOD i/c
2. Shri Rama Kanta Mishra, Senior Lecturer
3. Mr. Chukhu Mama, Lecturer
4. Mr. Tacha Lusi Sorum, Lab. Asstt.
SPECIFIC INSTRUCTION TO THE STUDENTS
1. Minimum 75% attendance in theory classes is necessary.
2. Students need to wear uniform- dress code for laboratory classes
3. Follow safety instruction while study tour
ACTIVITIES IN THE DEPARTMENT
1. Guest & visiting faculties drawn from reputed hotels, airlines, govt. tourism departments
2. Adventure tour training, Industrial training & Computer based training.
3. Study Tours of local, North East & national destinations for practical exposure.
4. Special stress on grooming the personality of students according to industry needs through mock interviews, group discussion, case studies, role playing.
5. Instruction through modern teaching aids as computers, LCD projectors, over head& slide projectors, Audio visual shows, Plasma TV etc.
6. Students are given a firsthand simulated experience of a star hotel, airline, travel agency etc.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
1. Department have achieved 60% placement since inception.
2. Students got placement in Government and private sector.
3. Students get admission in good colleges for higher studies.
4. So far one student have been awarded gold medal for getting distinction in results.
5. Department holds the name for introduction of uniform in the institution.
6. Students get opportunity to undergo their industrial training in reputed travel agencies like Thomas Cook, Cox & Kings, SOTC, Makemytrip, etc.
PROGRAMME STRUCTURE FOR TRAVEL & TOURISM MANAGEMENT
Course Code Name of Course
G-101 Communication Skills – I
TTM-103 Introduction to Travel & Tourism
TT-102 Historical Development of India
TTM-102 Values and Ethics in Profession
TTM-201 Basic Accountancy
TTM-206 Introduction to Hospitality
G102 Communication Skill-II
TTM-103 Tourism Products of India
TTM-107 Environmental Education
TTM-108 Tourism Organisation
G206B Introduction to Information Technology
TTM-205 Transport in Tourism
TTM-404 Tourism Economics
Course Code Name of Course
TTM-202 Principles of Management
TTM-203 Tourism Impact
TTM-204 Geography for Tourism
-G302D Soft Core – 1
– G302D Soft Core – 2
TTM-401 Travel Agency and Tour operations
TTM-407 Cultural Heritage of India
TTM-405 Tourism Marketing
TTM-403 Human Resource management
TTM-409 Guiding Techniques in Tourism
TTM-411 Computer Application
TTM-502 Tourism Services and Operations
TTM-505 Tourism Planning and Policy
TTM-507 Eco Tourism and sustainable development
TTM-402 Travel formalities and legal issues
TTM-503 Event Management
TTM-406 Financial Management
TTM-408 Destination Development in Tourism
TTM-410 Adventure Tourism
TTM-501 Entrepreneurship Development
TTM-504 MICE in Tourism
HMCT-408 Marketing Management
TTM-506 Tourism Promotion
TTM601-606 Elective- I
TTM60-606 Elective- II
TTM-509 Tour & Project
TTM-510 Industrial Training (3 weeks OJT + 1 week orientation).
The Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management (TTM) can lead the students to various businesses of tourism department or tourism industry. Some of the avenues in which the employment opportunities exist are listed below:
Areas for Job Opportunities for pass-out of Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management:
Area I (Tour Operations, Travel Agency, Tourist Offices):
1) Reservation and traffic coordinator.
2) Operations supervisor.
3) Sales representatives.
4) Travel Manager.
5) Tour Operator.
6) Tour Escort.
7) Tourist Guide.
Area II (Industrial Houses, Air Transport, Surface Transport):
1) Guest House/Circuit House/Inspection Bungalow Manager.
3) Flight Attendant.
4) Passenger Service Agent.
5) Reservation Agent.
Area III (Air Transport, Water Transport, Surface Transport):
2) Tour Director.
3) Purser in Cruise Lines.
The pass-outs of the Diploma programme will get employment in the state of Arunachal Pradesh and in the neighbouring states. They can also serve anywhere in the service industry.
Keeping in view the Job Potentials, the programme structure for the Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management has been developed.